1/1 Photo of Indian Lamb Curry
1 hr 10 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
A dish from the Delhi region. Cuts of boneless beef can also be used in this recipe, but the true flavor is in the lamb. Serve with some rice, pakoras or samosas and a nice crispy salad! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 10 peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Heat oil in large pan; add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves.
- 2When leaves begin to sizzle and fragrance starts to release, add onions and saute until light golden, about 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Stir in the ginger paste, garlic, chile pepper, and lamb.
- 4Season the lamb with salt; continue cooking, stirring mix, for about 20 minutes more, adding a little water if necessary to keep food from sticking.
- 5Add turmeric, coriander powder, cayenne, and garam masala; stir for 5 minutes, adding 2 tablespoons water.
- 6Add diced tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 7Then add 4 cups of water and simmer for 15 minutes, or until meat is getting tender.
- 8Lower heat.
- 9Whisk the yogurt with a fork; and add to the pot slowly.
- 10Then cook until meat is done to your liking and sauce is thickened.
- 11Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- 12Serve with steamed basmati rice, or hot Indian breads, such as Naan.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Lamb Curry
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.4
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 81.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods