Recipe by Mrs. Danger_horse
Anyone who's been to Kolkata and eaten one of these delicious egg rolls will understand how occasionally the desire to eat one RIGHT NOW is compulsive! Here's a quick and easy recipe adapted from elsewhere on the web. Fresh tasting and (reasonably) healthy! Use a soft pliable roti (Indian flat bread) for best results.
- 4 rotis
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 4 green or purple chili peppers
- tomato sauce
- diced cooked chicken (optional, for chicken egg roll)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs. Add a little milk or salt if desired. Have all salad ingredients thinly sliced and ready.
- Heat 1/4 of the oil in a flat large frypan.
- Pour 1/4 of the egg mix in and swirl it around to make an omlette the size of the roti. Before the egg sets, place a roti on top and press down gently.
- When egg is cooked, flip roti and cook for a couple of seconds.
- Remove from the frying pan and place on a board, egg side up.
- Arrange 1/4 of the sliced cucumber and onion and 1 sliced chilli (and chicken if using) in a line up the centre of the roti. Squeeze on a little tomato sauce.
- Roll up with the salad ingredients in the middle.
- Wrap with a piece of lunch paper/greaseproof paper to hold it all together,.
- Repeat for the rest of the egg, roti, and salad ingredients.