Recipe by biogirlie
This is a great recipe that I found on cuisinecuisine.com, a website devoted to Indian culture and cuisine. I have been pairing this rice with a curry dish (most recently with Thai Red Curry With Vegetables, Thai Red Curry with Vegetables). I would love to hear what other 'zaar members pair it with! Happy Eating!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice in luke warm water, drain completely and let it sit.
- Heat the ghee or oil on medium heat, add the bay leaves and cumin seeds and saute for a minute.
- Add the rice and saute for a few minutes.
- Now add the hot water and the salt. Boil until almost all the water has evaporated.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes or so - stir often and make sure that it doesn't start to stick to bottom of saucepan.
- When there is a tiny amount of extra water left in the rice, remove from heat and let the rice sit for a minute. The extra should evaporate as the rice cools a bit.
- Serve! If you would like, add a dollop of butter to the top.