Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Made this chicken over the weekend. I was actually making a curry, and I had some curry leaves leftover, so I decided to make a indian inspired roast chicken. Yet again, no particular recipe was followed, and I just threw some stuff together. The chicken came out really juicy, with a very interesting flavour. This is going to the "to be repeated" recipe book. :) More recipes on my blog
- 3 lbs free-range chicken (skin gently loosened)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 head garlic, skinned and crushed
- 1 head garlic, skin left on, just cut the top off (leave it whole)
- 10 baby carrots
- 2 yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Marinade the chicken in the soya sauce, honey, black pepper.
- Try and pour some of the marinade under the skin.
- Place the crushed garlic (leave 3 cloves aside) and curry leaves under the chicken
- Mince one wedge of onion and the 3 cloves of garlic.
- Toss the mince onion and garlic with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Place this mixture into the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200C.
- Toss the remaining onions, garlic and baby carrots with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the marinated chicken on top of the garlic, carrots and onions.
- Cook the chicken for 1 hour, till golden brown and the juices run clear at the thigh joint.
- Serve the chicken with mash potatoes or rice. OR you can shred the chicken and serve it with a salad or in a melted cheese sandwich.