Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Margaret Fulton - posting this to fulfill a request, times are estimated as I haven't made it myself. Use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
- 60 g ghee
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups rice (raw)
- 3 1⁄2 cups stock (hot)
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 cloves (whole ones)
- 4 cardamom pods (bruised)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup peas (cooked)
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan which has a tight fitting lid.
- Fry half the onions until golden brown.
- Add the turmeric and stir well for a minute.
- Add the rice and fry for a few minutes, stirring until it is golden in colour.
- Add the boiling stock, spices, and remaining onions.
- Stir well and cover tightly and cook on a very low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and keep covered until ready to serve.
- A few minutes before serving, uncover the pan to allow steam to escape.
- Fluff up with a fork and garnish with the peas.
Very aromatic and has a wonderful buttery flavor. Excellent! Thanks for sharing-
I'm glad I've found this delicious and beautiful sidedish!
Thanks Pat this is a recipe that I think everybody will like and everybody will be able to prepare.
Very tasty! The flavor of the rice is wonderful. I did not have cardamom pods so used a pinch of ground cardamom. Thank you for the recipe.