Recipe by Sharlene~W
My Shoshone childhood friend's mother makes these and they are a treat! Eating suggestions: Honey and butter, as a replacement for a tortilla in a taco, or shake warm bread in a bag of cinnamon sugar.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Gradually stir in water until dough is soft without sticking to bowl.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Return dough to bowl and cover with a clean towel.
- Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into egg-size balls and roll on lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Pat from hand to hand as you would pizza dough until it is 8 to 12 inches in diameter.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil into a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook pieces, turning once until bread is golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.