Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I use this as a side dish but it could be a main dish if you added chopped chicken.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 peach, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons coriander sprigs, optional
- Cook rice in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes and drain.
- Return to hot pot and let stand, covered.
- Heat 1 Tbs oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and cook about 30 seconds.
- Push onion and ginger to one side and add remaining 1 Tbs oil.
- Add almonds to oil and cook, stirring until golden, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, peach, cardamom, red pepper sauce, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Top with coriander sprigs if using.
Like Anu, I too loved this rice. The only thing that I omitted in this was the hot red pepper sauce. The garnishing of this rice with the corriander sprigs made it even more presentable- it looked like a fruit pulao, and when I served it piping hot, it was really very well enjoyed. The almonds did add richness and a great crunch as well to this rice. I'll try cashewnuts for a change next time. This recipe is "Definitely" a keeper! Thank U,Tish, for sharing it.
I brown bagged this for lunch today, and enjoyed every bite of it! I was probably really sleepy when I made it, because I used a pear instead of a peach, even though I had over a dozen peaches on hand. I like the gentle sweetness of this dish, which is mild enough so that this can serve as a main dish. The slivered almonds add a wonderful crunch, and I'd like to try it with peanut or walnuts or even cashews, for that added bit of richness! Thanks Tish, this one's a keeper!
I could become addicted to this rice. I'll make it again and again. I did use cashews and a mix of brown and white rice. This recipe has a great layering of flavors; sweet, tangy and hot. Terrific!