Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My family really enjoyed this recipe. I served it with accorn squash and a chef type salad. Another winner by "Wildman" Steve Brill
- 1⁄4 cup mustard oil, corn oil or 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vege-sal or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried wild ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon regular ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili paste or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried hot pepper, like cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown basmati rice or 1 1⁄2 cups other brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup amaranth
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the yellow mustard seeds, cloves, salt, turmeric, ginger and coriander.
- Cook, stirring often until the mustard seeds begin to pop, around 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the boiling water and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan containing the boiling water, allowing the pot to return to a boil.
- Reduce to low, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed, around 30 to 40 minutes.