- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 medium green serrano chilies, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 cups cooked white rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, tightly packed and minced
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in large wok over high heat. when it begins to smoke, add mustard seeds and cover wok. after seeds stop sputtering, add chiles. when chiles are toasted, add onion and stir-fry until onion is golden around the edges. add turmeric, stir, and take off heat.
- add rice, lemon juice, salt, and sugar to pan and toss till mixed well and all rice grains are yellow.
- return wok to low heat, cover, and steam until the flavors have melded, about 5 minute garnish with cilantro and serve.