Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Instead of hummus, this is a quick and easy dip to serve for parties. The eggplant, garlic and onions are roasted and then blended with herbs to make this fresh tasting. From Bon Appetit, December 2010.
- 3 pita bread rounds, cut horizontally in half, then cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1⁄4 lbs eggplants, quartered lengthwise
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Arrange pita wedges in single layer on rimmed baking sheet; brush lightly with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Place eggplant, skin side down, on half of another rimmed baking sheet. Place onions and garlic on other half of sheet. Brush eggplant with 2 Tablespoons oil, drizzle onions and garlic with 1 Tablespoon oil. Toss vegetables; spread in single layer.
- Bake pita until crisp, about 4 minutes. Roast vegetables until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Peel garlic. Scoop out pulp from eggplant and transfer to processor. Add onions and peeled garlic.
- Puree until almost smooth. Transfer puree to bowl; mix in mint, cilantro and garam masala. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips.