1/1 Photo of Indian Dhal With Tomato and Aubergine
Brian Holley's Note:
A wonderful side dish to go with your curry. Dhal (lentils) are an important food in India and are eaten at most meals. This recipe adds a new dimension to Dhal with the added tomato and Eggplant. One of my Indian friends sent me the recipe and I'm very pleased that he did. The preparation and cooking is so simple anyone can cook this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 large aubergine, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- juice of one lemon
- 1Boil the lentils with the turmeric in the water till soft. Remove from the Heat and set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the seeds till they splutter.
- 3Add the green chillies, eggplant, chilli powder and salt.
- 4Fry for 30 seconds and add the tomato.
- 5Cook till the tomato and aubergine is soft, add the lemon juice
- 6Add the lentil mixture to the spiced vegetables, reduce the heat and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 7Serve as a side to a good curry and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Dhal With Tomato and Aubergine
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.8
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 27.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 20.2 g