Recipe by Nelka
From the Indian Creative Cooking cookbook. I've made this again and again and love it. True winter recipe to put some warmth on your body and heart. Really miss it this winter since my blender broke.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils (yellow or red)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 10 curry leaves, fresh, bruised and tied together
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green chili pepper, whole but split
- 8 cups rich vegetable broth
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small eggplant, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 4 lemons, juice of
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the ghee and add the dhal, mustard seeds, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, cinnamon stick, garlic, minced ginger, curry leaves, onion, and green chilly pepper. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes until the spices are fragrant and deep brown in color and the onion has softened.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer until the dhal is spft, about 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, green chilly pepper and curry leaves.
- Blend the dhal until smooth with a hand-held electric beater, then return to the saucepan.
- Add the diced vegetables and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the lemon juice, salt to taste, and chopped coriander. Stir well and serve with a dollop of yogurt, garnished with a few coriander leaves.