Recipe by Lalaloula
This spicy dhal recipe comes from Family Circle's Fast Vegetarian Cookbook, which I received from a dear friend. It is quick and easy to make, yet really yummy! It is also very versatile as it can be eaten cold or transformed into a soup. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups red lentils (310 g)
- 1 tablespoon oil (original calls for ghee)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder (or use 1/2 tbs grated fresh ginger)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional) or 2 tablespoons mint (optional) or 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups water (500ml)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the lentils well under cold water. Drain in a colander.
- Heat oil or ghee in a large pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until lightly coloured and soft.
- Add garlic, ginger and spices and sautee until fragrant.
- Now add the lentils and the water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until nealy all the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are soft.The dhal should be thick.
- Sitr in the chopped herb of your choice.
- Serve warm with naan bread.