Recipe by Steve P.
Simple to make with traditional indian flavor. The spices called for are generally easy to find as well. Can be served alone or with rice.
- 1 lb chicken, boneless, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 -2 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup ground cashews
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 pinch saffron (several threads soaked in 1 tbsp water or milk)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- garam masala, for garnish
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup ground tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the paste ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom pot heat oil or ghee on a low heat. Add whole spices and saute until they are slightly brown.
- Add paste mixture into pot with whole spices and fry until mixture is slightly browned.
- Add chicken cubes. Cover and cook over low heat until chicken is tender.
- Add ground nuts, cream and saffron. Cook further for 10 minutes until mixture is creamy and thick. Add a little water if necessary.
- Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves and garam masala.