Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Simple to make with traditional indian flavor. The spices called for are generally easy to find as well. Can be served alone or with rice.
- 1 lb chicken, boneless, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 -2 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup ground cashews
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 pinch saffron (several threads soaked in 1 tbsp water or milk)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- garam masala, for garnish
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup ground tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Put all the paste ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom pot heat oil or ghee on a low heat. Add whole spices and saute until they are slightly brown.
- Add paste mixture into pot with whole spices and fry until mixture is slightly browned.
- Add chicken cubes. Cover and cook over low heat until chicken is tender.
- Add ground nuts, cream and saffron. Cook further for 10 minutes until mixture is creamy and thick. Add a little water if necessary.
- Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves and garam masala.