Recipe by Duke of Prunes
This is a cross between palak paneer without the cheese, and creamed spinach. Note that the fenugreek will add a nice nutty flavor to the concoction. Use the leaves, not the seeds. I've also omitted the salt since the spinach will already be salted. If you decide to add salt, do it sparingly and towards the very end of the cooking process.
- 2 bunches fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- fenugreek leaves (methi)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 -2 dried red chili
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil about a quart of water and add salt liberally. Once the water comes to a rolling boil, add the spinach and reduce heat to medium . Cook for 8 minutes, then drain and set aside. Chop when cooled.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter or ghee. Sautee shallots and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for two minutes or until the juices release. Then add the spices and the rest of the butter and stir, allowing about 30 seconds to a minute for them to begin releasing their flavor into the mixture. Add the cream and raise the heat, continuing to stir. Reduce the liquid to half so the mixture has a creamy rather than soupy consistency.
- Allow to cool, pour into bowls and sprinkle with the cheese. Then enjoy. Or just throw it in the trash or see if your dog will eat it.