Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
A delicately-spiced pilaf that is so good with Indian dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 -5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 cup thawed corn kernel
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add cumin, cinnamon and cardamon and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until cumin is browned, about 1 minute.
- Add rice and vegetable stock, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add corn, cover and heat through, about 2 minutes more.
- Season with salt and fluff.
very fragrant rice, this looks lovely and made a nice side dish to chicken.
This was good but definately needs some spice and also garlic (just personal preference) I omitted the pods and used dry spice for the cardamom, thanks Ev!...Kitten:)
I don't recall ever adding corn to an Indian rice dish before, so this was an interesting experiment for us. I Loved the contrast of the sweet flavours of cinnamon and corn with the sharpness of cumin and cardomom. Very good.