Recipe by Geri by the Sea
I have long enjoyed coconut soup in Indian restaurants, and I finally set about to make my own. Now I like mine best of all! :-) It's quick and easy, and it has a nice texture.
Top Review by Dujoducom
I ate at an indian place the other day and was thrilled to see that they had this soup becuase I was planning on making it anyway. After getting a taste of it, I had to make some today and this recipe is definitely close. I was a little bit sad to see all that saturated fat in the coconut milk, but there's nothing you can do about that. Frothing is definitely worth it if you can, but if not it's still a great soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios (plus a little extra)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 cinnamon
- 1⁄2 nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups coconut milk, well shaken
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee coconut in butter until toasted, stirring well.
- Add 1/4 cup pistachios, sautéing a little longer.
- Add honey and spices and stir.
- Add milk and coconut milk, stirring slowly.
- Heat but don't boil.
- Froth individual servings in blender or espresso machine if desired.
- CAUTION: Be careful not to put more than one serving at a time in the blender or it may overflow and scald you.
- Serve garnished with pistachios.