1 hr 54 mins
1 hr 19 mins
This is nice twist to a traditional fruit glaze for ham - using garam masala and fresh cayenne and tabasco chili peppers give this ham a distinctively warm finish and an American West and Indian flare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs ham (Any will do, follow cooking instructions for the type of ham)
- 3 small onions
- 3 fresh cayenne peppers
- 3 Thai chiles (any pepper will do here)
- 3 lbs baby carrots
- 2 large navel oranges or 4 -5 clementines
- 1 (16 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 3/4 cup white raisins
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons local raw honey
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (or use your favorite curry)
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon blood orange olive oil (or olive oil with zest of 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- whole cloves
- 1Chop onions and peppers and saute in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add zest of 1 orange and juice from 2. Add apricot preserves, crushed pineapple with juice, sugar,cinnamon, honey, garam masala, allspice, raisins, and cream sherry. Bring to boil then let simmer until thickened/syrupy - about 20-30 minutes.
- 2Score ham and stud with clove buds, basting with a portion of the citrus glaze. (depending on ham type - cooking times will vary). For city ham, cook covered at 325 for 40 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.
- 3Remove from oven and add baby carrots. Pour remaining glaze over ham and carrots and cook for an additional 30 minutes, covered, basting every 15 minutes - be sure to stir carrots as well for even cooking.
- 4Remove foil, baste again, and cook until ham has nice caramel like glaze and carrots are tender - about 15 minutes.
- 5Let stand for 15 minutes and remove cloves before serving.
- 6For added nutrition - halve brussel sprouts and cook with carrots or try parsnip!
- 7For stronger flavor - make your own garam masala fresh or toast ground masala before adding to glaze mixture.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Citrus, Raisin and Honey Glazed City Ham With Baby Carrot
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.6
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 141.7 mg
- Sodium 4272.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 62.3 g
- Protein 63.8 g