Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband, who is from India, requests this recipe often. It has a great flavor and is quite satisfying!
FOR THE PASTE
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
FOR THE REST
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 green chilies, sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- FOR THE PASTE: Heat ghee over pan on medium heat. Sauté onions for 2 minutes, then add tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and dump contents into blender. Blend into a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add green chiles, chili powder, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. Cook for about 20 seconds and immediately add the paste. You can add about 1/2 cup of water for consistency. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add chopped scallions. Cook for 2 minutes more and remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro and serve over basmati rice.
We really enjoyed this mushroom dish. Loved the flavors and it paired nicely with Indian Eggplant Curry. I did use less chili powder than recommended as Indian chili powder is extremely hot. I also used less chilies and I removed the seeds as well. Thanks for posting this recipe. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.