Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a vegetarian side or main dish that is included in a bunch of recipes that I received from a friend.
- 1 cup chickpeas, fresh
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cm cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 cup canned tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Soak chickpeas overnight then rinse and cook in water till tender.
- Drain and keep the cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in frying pan and cook onion until golden.
- Add cinnamon and cloves and cook for a few seconds.
- Add garlic, ginger, chili pepper, and coriander and cook 5 minutes stirring.
- Add tomatoes with juice and cook till all liquid is absorbed.
- Add the chickpeas to pan, mix, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cooking liquid from the chickpeas and simmer for 25 minutes or until all the liquid is gone.
- Sprinkle with garam massala and cilantro.
- Can be served hot or cold.
- Time to make does not include soaking the chickpeas overnight.
Delicious! I too, used canned chickpeas. I also used just one tablespoon oil to cut down on the fat...and it was still delicious...and a bit spicy. We all loved it. Thanks very much!
The only problem with this recipe was that it didn't make enough for my family of four. They devoured it. Next time, I'll have to increase the amounts.
This was a really tasty recipe. I did use fresh chickpeas and was glad I did. For some reason they seemed a bit dry, perhaps next time I will use a bit more tomato. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe!