Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is a vegetarian side or main dish that is included in a bunch of recipes that I received from a friend.
- Soak chickpeas overnight then rinse and cook in water till tender.
- Drain and keep the cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in frying pan and cook onion until golden.
- Add cinnamon and cloves and cook for a few seconds.
- Add garlic, ginger, chili pepper, and coriander and cook 5 minutes stirring.
- Add tomatoes with juice and cook till all liquid is absorbed.
- Add the chickpeas to pan, mix, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cooking liquid from the chickpeas and simmer for 25 minutes or until all the liquid is gone.
- Sprinkle with garam massala and cilantro.
- Can be served hot or cold.
- Time to make does not include soaking the chickpeas overnight.