Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I can't go too long without eating Indian food. I need it for survival. It's one of my basic food groups! :) Have this with some hot chapatis and a few chilies, and some dal soup! You'll have sweet dreams that night.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Remove skin and all visible fat from chicken; cut small slits into chicken to allow seasoning to penetrate; set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan; cook chicken pieces over medium-high heat until chicken is opaque, turning frequently, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add cumin, onion, garlic, turmeric, and ginger to pan; cook stirring constantly until onions are caramelized, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, cayenne pepper, coriander powder and salt, stirring to mix well.
- Place chicken in pan, cover, reduce heat, and simmer till chicken is tender, 25-35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with garam masala.
- Serve with rice, hot breads such as naan or rotis, and vegetable dishes such as chole or saag, and possibly a salad.
- I also like to have fresh chilies and lemon wedges available as condiments also.
Made this for mom and my brother for lunch this afternoon. I made some additions: 1) I added 1/2 tsp. more of turmeric powder, 2) 1 more tomato, 3) Substituted the cayenne pepper with 1/4 tsp. black pepper as I didn't have the former at hand, 4) Used 1/2 a tsp. more of salt. Additionally, I used 1 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder, 2 cups water to cook the chickeni.e. I added in the chicken in step number 6( I did not do the step 1 of this recipe, because when I put in 4 small pieces of chicken to cook, they just got stuck to the skillet and I had to start all over again in another skillet). Also, I added the garam masala powder in step 5 with the other masala powders. I allowed the chicken to cook along with the veggies on medium-high flame for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. The gravy tasted wonderful I was told! I garnished the dish with lots of chopped corriander leaves. Mom and brother liked it, Thanks Sue!
Good, simple recipe. Easy to prepare and minimal ingredients needed.
This was so fabulous! I substituted zucchini in, since I had no bell peppers, and added about 1/8 cup of boiling water when the chicken was re-added to the pan to keep it from sticking. Will definitely make again!