Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An Indian dish from Kerali, India.
Make and share this Indian Chicken Kerali recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed in 2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- Prepare a marinade by combining lemon juice, curry, red pepper, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, salt and water in a shallow pan.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch strips and place in the marinade for 20 minutes, turning at least once.
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil and sauté onions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots and brown them slightly, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken and marinade. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring frequently.
This was good and easy to put together too. I didn't quite have the whole hour to simmer, so I cut everything up into smaller bits to cook a bit faster, which turned out fine. I'll be making this again, thanks!