1/2 Photos of Indian Chicken in White Gravy (Safed Murgh - Curry)
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
This is a lovely curry -rich, but not heavy- and mild. Serve with rice and your choice of accompaniments. Prep/cook times are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I used boneless, skinless thighs, all fat removed)
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste (alternately 1 tsp of each)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (I used white, but black's ok too)
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked, drained and ground to a paste
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves or 4 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornflour or 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons Wondra Flour, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1Place the chicken in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then simmer till cooked through (about 20 minutes).
- 2When cool, remove the chicken pieces, RESERVING the cooking water, and mix the milk and the stock (water chicken was cooked in) together and make up to 2 cups adding more water if required.
- 3Heat the ghee in a heavy based pan on medium heat and add the cumin seeds, poppy seeds and peppercorns, taking care not to burn. When they splutter, add the ginger and garlic, and sauté till a little darker in color.
- 4Add the salt and ground cashew paste and stir well to mix. Add to this the chicken, the stock and milk mixture and bring to a boil.
- 5Add the cornflour mixture, bring to a boil again, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- 6Add the vinegar, sugar and half the coriander leaves, mix and serve hot garnished with the rest of the coriander leaves. Serve with basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Chicken in White Gravy (Safed Murgh - Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.9
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 140.1 mg
- Sodium 736.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: