Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
"This is an adaptation of yellow chicken curry from India. The aromas and flavors are a delight to the senses! It is best served with fresh Naan bread and Jasmine or Basmati rice." From Allrecipes.com
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes.
As a whole, my family liked this: 'weird, but I like it' said daughter #1, ' I'd give it 6 out of 5 stars!' raves my husband, and daughter #2 said, I like it and would eat it again if the sauce was a dip and the chicken was plain.' Me--chef in residence, give it 4 bright stars!
Extremely flavorful bordering on rich. Definitely serve with a refreshing palate cleanser such as cucumbers, yogurt, or fresh cold water! I served it with plain white rice. Basmati or Jasmine rice are recommended, but I used what I had on hand. Also a green salad as a side for nutrition and color.
The substitutions I made: used dry ginger instead of grated fresh gingerroot and reconstituted lemon juice, adjusted accordingly. Beautiful color and easy to make.
Next time I may add peas, back off on the cayenne pepper, and use fresh ginger root and fresh lemon juice from real lemons. Thanks for this recipe!