Recipe by kparyani1
This Recipe is evolved from 4 Generations of cooking this dish,modifying and correcting to make it Delicious Tender falling off the bone Meat with the blend of Exotic Indian Herbs and Spices.Once you try it,I am sure you would want this dish to be on your table once or more every week.
- 5 lbs whole chickens
- 4 cups red onions, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 15 green cardamom seeds, shell discarded
- 5 cloves, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped coarse
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Take out the pouch of the chicken parts which is inside the chicken,set it aside.Cut the chicken wings off set it aside with chicken parts of the pouch.Peel skin off the chicken,cut chicken to make 2 skinless Breasts and 2Legs with thighs skinless.Put the chicken Back meat with wings and parts from the pouch.
- In a large Stockpot pour 4 cups of water over medium high heat,add parts from pouch,wings and the chicken Back part,bring it to boil,reduce to medium low,cover and heat for 30-40 minutes.Discard the parts,Save the Strained Broth .
- Clean and wipe bottom of stock pot,add vegetable oil over medium high heat,add onions,garlic,ginger,cumin seeds,cinnamon stick,cardamom seeds,cloves and bay leaves.Cook for about 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally until onions become golden translucent(If mixture sticks badly to the bottom of pot either reduce heat to medium or add tablespoon of broth you made from chicken parts).
- Add chicken legs with thighs and breast to onion mixture,mix it so mixture is coated to chicken on all sides,cover,reduce to medium low,let it simmer for 10 minutes.Uncover add yogurt,Garam Masala,Curry Powder,Coriander powder,turmeric powder,cayenne pepper(I use 1 Tablespoon,you can use as per the heat level you desire)and salt,mix it well together so everything is blended together and chicken is coated with mixture,cover heat it on medium for 15 minutes.Now add tomatoes and 2-3 cups of broth(according to your taste as to how much gravy you like in your curry,it will reduce by half the amount you add by the time curry is ready)cover cook on medium high,covering the pot half way,for 30-40 minutes.
- Uncover pot give it a gentle stir as chicken is getting tender and rough stir may shred chicken into gravy,check if the chicken is cooked thoroughly and is tender,taste the gravy to see if it needs any more salt or pepper,add Cilantro,give gentle stir,cover cook on medium low for 10-15 minutes.Turn it off add Hard Boiled Eggs each egg cut into two pieces immersed in gravy so it absorbs flavor from it.Let stand for 5 minutes or more,serve with Indian Basmati Rice,Chapati,Paratha(Indian flat round wheat Bread) with side of sliced onions,diced cucumbers mixed with Plain yogurt(blended with water ,pinch of salt and mint powder)sauce.