Cook1 hr 15 mins
My husband loves curry so I thought I'd give it a try. He loved it! I didn't have plain yogurt when I made it so I substituted some light sour cream and light coconut milk and it was scrumptious! I also used WAY less of the cayenne pepper then it called for. This recipe is originally from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2003, one of my favorites.
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 5 cups cubed peeled baking potatoes
- 4 cups water
- Combine first 8 ingredients.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion& garlic for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spice mixture; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine yogurt and tomato paste.
- Add yogurt mixture, potato and water to pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!