Recipe by Recipe Junkie
I got this out of a garage sale casserole cookbook that came out circa 1950-60. This is one of the recipes that I saved.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 whole cardamom seeds
- cinnamon stick
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (divided)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in deep saucepan.
- Add onions, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Cook until onion is tender and lightly browned.
- Combine garlic, ginger, cumin, curry powder, coriander, tumeric, tabasco and 1/4 c water.
- Stir to paste.
- Stir into butter mixture.
- Add tomatoes.
- Simmer, covered 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and remaining water.
- Cook over low heat 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with hot, cooked rice.