Indian Chicken and Potatoes
- Cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces. If you leave a little of the fat on the chicken you can use less oil in the cooking.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into uniform bite-sized pieces.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil at medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add garlic. Saute garlic and chicken until the chicken is cooked. Remove from pan, leaving behind any oil. Set chicken aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida and let them sizzle for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric, coriander, chili powder, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper. Let this mixture cook on medium-high heat for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes and fry for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the chicken and garam masala and mix everything well. Add the broth, bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. If the mixture looks dry, add water, no more than 1/4 cup at a time.
- Alternatively, after mixing everything, you can transfer the mixture to a crockpot and cook on medium for about an hour. Serve over rice if desired.