Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Has all the taste of of great Indian curry but lighter and healthier. Serve this with rice and your favorite Indian breads, such as naan, or chapatis, and a nice vegetable dish.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-inch)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, sliced into 1/2 x 3 inch strips
- 8 ounces mushrooms, stemmed and halved if large
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 ounces evaporated milk (or may use cream)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add chili pepper, cloves and cinnamon stick and heat until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes then add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 min more.
- Add the chicken slices and cook for 4 minutes; then add the mushrooms, cayenne, coriander, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, and cook for 4-5 minutes more; add a little oil if necessary to prevent burning.
- Add tomato sauce and paste and mix well and lower heat and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk or cream and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes then add garam masala and chopped cilantro to the dish.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
The spice mixture in this is wonderful! The cloves really add a nice touch. Very easy and quick to make. I did serve over rice, and added a side of sauted zucchini. Very flavorful, I will make this again!
Wonderfully aromatic, the blend of spices truly complimented the chicken. I served this over steamed basmati rice, and garnished with extra chopped cilantro. The level of heat was right on too...not too spicy, or too mild. Adding the garam masala and cilantro after cooking really intesified their flavor. Fabulous recipe! We loved it!
This is a very good recipe and quite easy to make. Just spicy enough to please my better half, although I'm not big on spicy. Loved it with rice but think it would be great on pasta too.