Recipe by Sue Lau
Has all the taste of of great Indian curry but lighter and healthier. Serve this with rice and your favorite Indian breads, such as naan, or chapatis, and a nice vegetable dish.
Top Review by MizzNezz
The spice mixture in this is wonderful! The cloves really add a nice touch. Very easy and quick to make. I did serve over rice, and added a side of sauted zucchini. Very flavorful, I will make this again!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-inch)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, sliced into 1/2 x 3 inch strips
- 8 ounces mushrooms, stemmed and halved if large
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 ounces evaporated milk (or may use cream)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add chili pepper, cloves and cinnamon stick and heat until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes then add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 min more.
- Add the chicken slices and cook for 4 minutes; then add the mushrooms, cayenne, coriander, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, and cook for 4-5 minutes more; add a little oil if necessary to prevent burning.
- Add tomato sauce and paste and mix well and lower heat and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk or cream and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes then add garam masala and chopped cilantro to the dish.
- Serve with rice, if desired.