Recipe by chaiandallthatjazz
I make this recipe all the time! Watch out, it's very spicy! :) And quite healthy, too. Eat the chana masala as a curry over rice or my favourite, straight with paratha. Every now and then I like to add about 1 tsp of plain yogurt on top of the chana masala in the bowl, and then add the cilantro on top of that. I adapted it from: http://www.recipedelights.com/recipes/vegdishes/ChanaMasala.htm
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, chopped
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- coriander leaves, for garnishing
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion, tomato and green chili. Grind it in food processor along with ginger and garlic and make paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry bay leaves for 30 secs.
- Add the paste and fry on medium heat until golden brown (The oil starts separating from the mixture).
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water enough to make thick gravy. Bring the gravy to boil.
- Add can chick peas. Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and serve hot.