1/1 Photo of Indian Chana Masala
I make this recipe all the time! Watch out, it's very spicy! :) And quite healthy, too. Eat the chana masala as a curry over rice or my favourite, straight with paratha. Every now and then I like to add about 1 tsp of plain yogurt on top of the chana masala in the bowl, and then add the cilantro on top of that. I adapted it from: http://www.recipedelights.com/recipes/vegdishes/ChanaMasala.htm
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, chopped
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- coriander leaves, for garnishing
- 1Cut onion, tomato and green chili. Grind it in food processor along with ginger and garlic and make paste.
- 2Heat oil in a pan and fry bay leaves for 30 secs.
- 3Add the paste and fry on medium heat until golden brown (The oil starts separating from the mixture).
- 4Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add water enough to make thick gravy. Bring the gravy to boil.
- 6Add can chick peas. Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- 7Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Chana Masala
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 333.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: