Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The cauliflower and potatoes readily absorb the flavors of the spices and other seasonings in this Indian slow cooker dish. Pureeing the onion and spices together before cooking helps to bring out their flavors in the stew. Recipe is from my Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker cookbook.
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- In a food processor, place the onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, if using, and process until smooth.
- Place the oil in a 4-6 quart slow cooker turned on HIGH. Add the onion puree and stir in the mustard, fennel, cardamom, allspice, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Cover and let it cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes, cauliflower, kidney beans, tomatoes and stock into the cooker. Season with salt and pepper; cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- When the vegetables are tender, add the coconut milk and cook, uncovered, to incorporate the flavors, 10 to 15 minutes.
This is great! I did make some changes by skipped the allspice (out of) and instead of two potatoes - used one regular potato and 1 sweet potato, black beans instead of kidney beans and chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. So and open to adaptations! Thanks for sharing!