Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My friend Sirisha, from South India, introduced me to this. It is great! I like it hot and cold. There are several versions on 'zaar, but this one has stronger spices than most. It is somewhat hot, but mostly just very flavorful! I prefer it without the onion. The amounts are approximate, as she never measure. I do, though. :)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 red chili pepper (halved)
- 1 green chili pepper (cut up)
- 1 medium onion, shredded (optional)
- 1 lb shredded cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 shredded curry leaves (optional)
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red chiles. They will start to crackle, like popcorn.
- After they have crackled for a couple minutes, add green chile and optional onion. Fry 3-4 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage. Cover and cook about 3 minutes, stirring twice.
- Add peas, turmeric, and salt. Cook 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add optional curry leaves at the end.
I have a recipe very similar to this one except I like to make it hotter. For variety I sometimes add a diced potato near the start of cooking. Another variation is to add lots of black pepper instead of the green/red chilies.