Recipe by Vegan Courtney
This is an authentic Indian cabbage and pea curry. The recipe is designed to replicate the cabbage and peas dish at our local Indian restaurant. Hope you enjoy it! It's very spicy (i.e, it might make you cry), so you may want to tone it down a little.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 1⁄2 cups peas
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine or 1 tablespoon ghee (for authenticity)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala (warm Indian spices)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the cabbage coarsely.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and stir in the crushed red chilies, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin, bay leaves, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- Heat the spices gently for about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the shredded cabbage and saute it, until it is evenly coated with the spices, and beginning to wilt, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the water and the peas.
- Cover, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir in the margarine, garam masala, lemon juice, and sugar, and simmer- uncovered- for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- There should be very little or no excess liquid at this point.
- Serve hot with basmati rice.