Recipe by Becwil75
I have been looking for a good Butter Chicken recipe that can be done in a slow cooker for quite some time. I found this one on http://crockpot365.blogspot.com. I am yet to try this recipe but wanted to post it so I wouldn't lose it. These notes are posted with the recipe: This is so good! I could have gone with a bit more cayenne, because I'm a nut, but the depth of flavor is wonderful. You can tweak the amount of garam masala and curry to your own taste---it's fine to add more at the end of cooking. This is a winner recipe. Thank you so much, Kindra!
Top Review by morgankt
This was wonderful! I followed the advice about the type of coconut milk and got a nice thick sauce. Also I have a recommendation for the cardamom pods - instead of using cheesecloth, I put them in a tea ball. That worked quite well.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (mine were frozen solid)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 15 cardamom pods (sewn together!)
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (260 ml) can coconut milk (I used light)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt (to add at the end, I used fat free)
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a 5 quart (20 cups) or larger crockpot. Carefully sew together the cardamom pods using a needle and thread. You can put them in a little cheese cloth bundle, instead, if you have that in the house. Put chicken in crockpot, and add onion, garlic, and all of the dry spices. Plop in the butter and tomato paste. Add lemon juice and coconut milk. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4. The chicken should shred easily with 2 forks when fully cooked.
- Stir in plain yogurt 15 minutes before serving. Discard cardamom pods. Salt to taste, serve with white or brown basmati rice.