Recipe by mlao77
This is a recipe I've used for several years now, taken from the Spice and Herb Bible. Amazing, is an understatement. The difficulty may lie in tracking down the ingredients, but it's worth all the effort. Enjoy! (note: preparation time does not include marinating time, i ground all the spices in a coffee mill/grinder)
- 6 -7 chicken breast fillets (I also use some skinless thighs for DH)
- 3 tablespoons tandoori spice mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 tablespoon freshly crushed garlic
- 6 tablespoons pureed onions (about 3 onions)
- 1 tablespoon medium heat curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce mixed with 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes or 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
Tandoori Spice Mix
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, quills ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, ground
- 1⁄2 black pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon medium heat chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green cardamom seeds, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed, all ground
- 2 brown cardamom pods, roughly ground in pestle with mortar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix one half Tabdoori spice blend with yogurt and marinate chicken overnight.
- Next day, grill the chicken while preparing the sauce as follows.
- In a pan, melt butter, add ground cumin and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add garlic and onion, stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix together remainder Tandoori spice blend with curry powder, tomato paste, tomato sauce, chutney, ground almonds and garam masala, then add to sauce.
- Simmer a few minutes, then add cooked chicken (you may cut up chicken into smaller pieces, if desired), along with any remaining marinade and pan drippings.
- Add coriander leaves, cream, coconut milk, and add salt to taste.
- Simmer gently and allow to reduce a little.