1/4 Photos of Indian Butter Chicken
This is a good recipe to make for someone just trying Indian food. This version came from Sunset March 2001. Feel free to add more jalapeno if you like it hotter, or add some cayenne pepper after tasting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, chopped fresh
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (about 1 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth, fat-skimmed
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, boned, skinned, rinsed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse-ground
- 1/4 cup butter (1/8 lb.)
- 6 cups basmati rice, hot cooked
- lime wedge
- cilantro, chopped
- 1In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine onion, ginger, chili, and oil. Stir often over high heat until onion is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala.
- 2Scrape mixture into a blender; add tomato paste and chicken broth. Whirl until very smooth.
- 3Pour mixture back into pan, add cream, and bring to a gentle boil over high heat (mixture is inclined to spatter). Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.
- 4Mix chicken with pepper and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set pan over high heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and the chicken. Stir until chicken is no longer pink on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Cut remaining 3 tablespoons butter into chunks and stir into sauce until melted.
- 5Spoon chicken and sauce onto rice. Add salt to taste. Squeeze lime juice over portions. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Butter Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1298.8
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 762.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 50.4 g