Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces lean ground beef or 8 ounces ground pork or 8 ounces ground turkey
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together yogurt and cucumber.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, combine onion, jalapeno, mint, cumin, garlic and salt.
- Add the ground beef and mix well.
- For mix into 3/4 inch thick patties.
- Grill patties over medium heat, for 14 to 18 minutes, turning once.
- Serve sauce over patties.
this recipe has tons of potential as an everyday dish, company dish, or even for a restaurant. i think it could use some garam masala, and maybe a nice spoonful of ghee in the middle of each patty. i actually used cilantro instead of mint, since that's what i had on hand. my suggestion would be to use a little extra fresh herb if you are using cilantro (maybe 1/3 cup). we ate these with basmati rice, but i think they'd be great with fresh naan, like an south asian spin on the classic burger. the yogurt sauce offsets the heaviness of the burger perfectly. tasty!
Quite tasty. It would probably be even better made with ground lamb. I had to substitute dried mint because something dug up my my freshly-planted mint and its not doing well enough to cut any. I also substituted Anaheim peppers instead of the jalapenos because we like the flavor without the fire.