Recipe by Lil Ms Tropical
A very authentic curry for the Indian food lover - rich and pungent will get your taste buds tingling for more! serve with natural yogurt and a mild chicken curry such as easy butter chicken curry to balance flavors.
Top Review by Outta Here
This gets 4 stars for flavor and ease of making in the pressure cooker (I am always looking for new ways to use my pressure cooker). Served it over steamed rice. I would have given 5 stars, but, as a previous reviewer mentioned, the recipe is not well written. The ingredient list is out of order (pet peeve of mine) and wasn't sure what the "aromatics" were, since it also says to cook the spices, garlic and onion together. Remember, not everyone is an experienced cook, and instructions should be detailed to help them better. :)
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the aromatics, spices, garlic, ginger and onions together.
- Add beef and cook briefly on all sides.
- Add rest ingredients except cilantro/coriander.
- Bring to the boil in pressure cooker for 2 minutes on high and then on low for 20 minutes.
- If using oven place in dutch oven for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add chopped coriander and stir through.
- If too wet add more tomato paste - if too dry add more beef stock.