A very authentic curry for the Indian food lover - rich and pungent will get your taste buds tingling for more! serve with natural yogurt and a mild chicken curry such as easy butter chicken curry to balance flavors.
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fry the aromatics, spices, garlic, ginger and onions together.
- Add beef and cook briefly on all sides.
- Add rest ingredients except cilantro/coriander.
- Bring to the boil in pressure cooker for 2 minutes on high and then on low for 20 minutes.
- If using oven place in dutch oven for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add chopped coriander and stir through.
- If too wet add more tomato paste - if too dry add more beef stock.