Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is great if you make it the day before to let the flavors develop. Make until step 3 then refrigerate. Repeat it gently until hot before finishing dish. Creamed coconut is not the same as coconut cream. Creamed coconut is a very concentrated coconut extract without the water. It is basically coconut cream concentrate, and can be made into coconut cream by mixing it with water, or into coconut milk by mixing it with a larger amount of water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch gingerroot, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons medium curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 -8 ounces mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups stock or 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces creamed coconut, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 6 scallions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cube beef into small bite size pieces. Heat oil in saucepan and add beef. Stir frequently when browned remove.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, curry and coriander to the pan cook 2 minute Stir in mushroom, stock, salt and tomatoes.
- Return beef to pan, cover and simmer until beef is tender about 1-1 1/2h.
- Stir in chopped creamed coconut and ground almonds into the curry then cover the pan and cook gently 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a skillet add pepper, scallion, fry gently you will want them to be tender crisp. Add cumin cook 1 minute. Spoon over curry and serve immediately.