Don't be fooled by the strange sound of coconut with asparagus. Because of the spices and hot green chillies these ingredients combine to create a wonderful spicy asparagus treat. This is a popular preparation of asparagus in Southern parts of India. (Service with rice and rasam or saambaar, pappadum and yogurt.)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (2 cups worth)
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut (finely ground)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 crushed red chili pepper (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oil on medium high, add black mustard seeds, red chilli and cumin seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add green chillies and salt.
- Next add the onions and garlic, fry for 2 minutes, then add the chopped asparagus pieces. Stir well, simmer the heat, add 1/4 cup of water, cover with lid and stir every 4 minutes. When the asparagus is tender, uncover and cook until water is gone.
- Add the fresh coconut, stir for 10 seconds, remove from heat. Keep covered until ready to use.