Recipe by laith.renno
Don't be fooled by the strange sound of coconut with asparagus. Because of the spices and hot green chillies these ingredients combine to create a wonderful spicy asparagus treat. This is a popular preparation of asparagus in Southern parts of India. (Service with rice and rasam or saambaar, pappadum and yogurt.)
Top Review by jmf384
This had the wonderful spices of Indian cooking, yet the true flavor of asparagus came through so that the ingredient wasn't lost by the rest of the dish. I served it over brown basmati rice with Indian red lentils and had two wonderful meals out of it. Thank you for sharing this easy, healthy, and tasty dish!
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (2 cups worth)
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut (finely ground)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 crushed red chili pepper (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil on medium high, add black mustard seeds, red chilli and cumin seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add green chillies and salt.
- Next add the onions and garlic, fry for 2 minutes, then add the chopped asparagus pieces. Stir well, simmer the heat, add 1/4 cup of water, cover with lid and stir every 4 minutes. When the asparagus is tender, uncover and cook until water is gone.
- Add the fresh coconut, stir for 10 seconds, remove from heat. Keep covered until ready to use.