Prep1 hr 30 mins
From an internet site called Ashbury Aubergine's Eggplant Recipes
Make and share this India Spiced Eggplant (Aubergine) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs eggplants
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place whole eggplant in a shallow pan and bake in a 400. oven until very soft, about 50 minutes.
- Alternatively, prick with a fork, set on paper toweling, and microwave, uncovered, at 100% for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Cut eggplant open and scoop out the pulp in large chunks, discarding larger seed pockets, stem and skin.
- Coarsely chop. (Some people prefer to leave the skin on and chop the eggplant into 1-inch cubes.).
- Set in a colander to drain.
- Coarsely slice red onion.
- Mince ginger.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- dd cumin seeds, ginger, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft.
- Coarsely chop tomato and seeded green pepper.
- Add to onion mixture along with turmeric, coriander, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped eggplant and cook for 5 minutes just to heat through and blend flavors. Just before serving, stir in coarsely chopped cilantro.