Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was first introduced to this wonderful Apple Bread from a co-worker more than 20 years ago! I just recently begged her to bring me the recipe so I could make it. She said she has kept it "posted" on her refrigerator for all of these years and still makes it all the time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 473.18 ml apples, chopped and pared (about 4 medium)
- 118.29 ml nuts, chopped
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- Heat over to 350 and grease and flour loaf pan.
- Cream together the 1 cup sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until smooth.
- Stir in apples and nuts and spread in pan.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan; cool bread completely before slicing.
- Store tightly covered. Makes 1 loaf.
- Note: Unbleached flour can be used in this recipe; if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder, baking soda and salt.
I loved this Apple bread recipe ! I used butter instead of shortening, and I grated the apples. And I used a bundt pan. It was really good, my family loved it. I am keeping this recipe!
This recipe did not work for me (I used butter softened) it came out like cookie dough...I'm trying to salvage it by making cookies now- I don't recommend
Sorry, have to disagree. This was awful. The dough was too stiff -- like cookie dough, not quick bread dough -- and by the time the centre was cooked, the outside was overdone. Perhaps if the apple was shredded it would work better ...