I was first introduced to this wonderful Apple Bread from a co-worker more than 20 years ago! I just recently begged her to bring me the recipe so I could make it. She said she has kept it "posted" on her refrigerator for all of these years and still makes it all the time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- Heat over to 350 and grease and flour loaf pan.
- Cream together the 1 cup sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until smooth.
- Stir in apples and nuts and spread in pan.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan; cool bread completely before slicing.
- Store tightly covered. Makes 1 loaf.
- Note: Unbleached flour can be used in this recipe; if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder, baking soda and salt.