Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was first introduced to this wonderful Apple Bread from a co-worker more than 20 years ago! I just recently begged her to bring me the recipe so I could make it. She said she has kept it "posted" on her refrigerator for all of these years and still makes it all the time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- Heat over to 350 and grease and flour loaf pan.
- Cream together the 1 cup sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until smooth.
- Stir in apples and nuts and spread in pan.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan; cool bread completely before slicing.
- Store tightly covered. Makes 1 loaf.
- Note: Unbleached flour can be used in this recipe; if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder, baking soda and salt.
This recipe did not work for me (I used butter softened) it came out like cookie dough...I'm trying to salvage it by making cookies now- I don't recommend
Sorry, have to disagree. This was awful. The dough was too stiff -- like cookie dough, not quick bread dough -- and by the time the centre was cooked, the outside was overdone. Perhaps if the apple was shredded it would work better ...
Something is missing from this recipe. Altho I added applesauce, there must be a liquid ingredient missing. Even with the applesauce, the bread is dry although the apples were delicious. Look for another recipe. DON'T BOTHER!