Recipe by JMS0173
This is a recipe I made up during my obsession with buffalo wings. It is not the traditional buffalo sauce recipe, but does incorporate the hot sauce and butter as main ingredients. I must admit that the proportions are mere guidelines, as I make it by tasting and adjusting frequently. It is VERY HOT, but has a nice depth of flavor and pungency. The sauce is slightly chunky, owing
Top Review by TheGrumpyChef
I have not had a better hot wing sauce. Love the unique, chunky texture of the sauce. I make a double batch of this every time to keep on hand in a sqeeze bottle in the fridge. I even like to toss it with my grilled shrimp! Definitely going into my faves for 2010! YUM, YUM, YUM!
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle red hot sauce (Frank's or Durkee's)
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh horseradish (NOT horseradish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 jalapenos or 2 serranos, minced
- 1 habanero, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in a small amount of butter just till aromatic.
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining butter and melt over low heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes .
- This sauce can stay over very low heat for a long time; the longer it sits, the hotter it will be.