1/3 Photos of Incredibly Awesome No Fail Spaghetti Sauce
1 hr 25 mins
This recipe came about through a lot of trial and error. My guinea pigs...I mean my family and friends finally gave it two thumbs up this week when we had it for Christmas Eve. It makes a lot so I freeze the leftovers and use it either for another course of spaghetti or for lasagne. I start this around 9 a.m. and we eat at 6 p.m. You really don't have to simmer it as long as I do, but it really marries the flavors. The longer the simmer the better the taste! It could be made the night before and heated through, refrigerated, then thrown in a crock pot on low all day. Or the morning of, then either simmer on the stove top or in the crock pot. If planning to simmer on the stove, make sure you use a large, heavy, thick bottomed pan. Adjust the garlic to your taste. By smashing the garlic before you mince it, the skin comes right off and you release the oils and more flavor. When it comes to the tomatoes and the sauce, try to use the unseasoned. The beef broth adds a depth to the sauce. Cook time is for the shortest time it should be simmered.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed then minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 5 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (make sure it is one that is drinkable, I use a really good Cabernet)
- 1Brown sausage in large heavy pan.
- 2When sausage is 3/4 browned, add ground chuck and cook until both sausage and chuck are browned. Drain, leaving a little of the fat in the pan.
- 3Add onions and garlic, sweat for 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes, tomato sauce , tomato paste and water. Mix together, then add spices. Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- 5Stir in wine. Bring to a boil again.
- 6Simmer at a low boil for as little as an hour or for as long as 7-8 or more in a crock pot.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Incredibly Awesome No Fail Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.2
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 792.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g